My Family

COME ON IN, GRAB A CUP OF COFFEE & SHARE A RANDOM MOMENT WITH ME

Thursday, May 28, 2009

what does it mean "to live"?

how is it that one day it seems like my children were babies and the next day they are teenagers? it feels as if tomorrow they will be getting married and the next day having children of their own. it all seems to go so fast. sometimes, it feels as if i am just watching a movie and my life is being lived right before my eyes, except that everything is going in exponetial speed. the daily tasks of every day life can make it seem like there is not enough time in the day. always wishing for just a couple more hours. always wishing that life would just be a little different than what it is right now. when i find myself in this state, i realize that i am just existing. i am not really living. the days are just moving along and i am robotically moving with them to get accomplished what needs to be done. it is a place of defeat! it is a place of missing the small blessings around me. it is a place that feels like i am drowning in all the garbage but unable to enjoy the meal. this is not the life that i know my Jesus came to bring me. He came so that i might truly live.(John 5:40)

live! what does it mean to live? not just exist! but live? to enjoy every single aspect of the existence that God has given me to experience! Paul tells us in Phillipians 1:21, "to live is Christ." he speaks of experiencing the Life of God in us, the life of the God who created every detail of what we see in this world and time itself, the life of a God who is compelled by His great love for us that He went to such detail to make everything beautiful and necessary for us to enjoy our time here on this earth, the God who created the idea of families. He, Love, had a dream! He wanted a family! We are His family. He desires to live in and among us and bestow upon us all that we need to live fully.

so, as i find myself in this state of existence and not truly living, i know that i am attempting to live outside of the Life that Jesus has given me, doing my tasks in my own strength, watching my children speed past me each day without living my life intertwined in theirs. and, i take my concern to Him and say, "God, i have messed up again. i stepped outside of the Life you have given me to live and tried living on my own. and, all it has gotten me is sad and overwhelmed without the joy that you came to give me. Your mercy and loving-kindness endures forever. You said that you would perfect that which concerns me!(Psalm 138:8) i am concerned here! i know that you will not forsake the work of Your own hands, "me!" revive me from my attempt at living so that i can experience your Life and truly live, enjoying all that there is to enjoy as You do."

19 comments:

Sarah said...

My sweet,
When we ask, He always answers! As you declared for all to read, true living is letting God live through us. His hands, His heart, His life. Surrendered and wiling to sit on the potter's wheel, what a beautiful place to be. I can only imagine what He is creating you to be.

Angela said...

Thank you so much for your prayers for my son and my family...((Hugs)) It brings great comfort to me...

Kellie Felmey said...

I needed this, somedays, I find myself fixing a meal, cleaning up, what next?, and trying to get everything done instead of enjoying the beauty in each moment!

Tracy said...

Sooo true. In Him we live and move and have our being.

Kimberly said...

This is so good and so true. How quickly I can slip into trying to live in my own strength and going about my own plans...and next thing you know...I am zapped of all joy.

Thanks for the reminder today to truly live...to surrender it all to Him and let Him revive us.
Blessings,
K :)

RCUBEs said...

Time does slip like sand through our fingers...

You're right, when everything becomes a routine, it feels like we're just existing. Amen! Thanks be to God Who came to give us life...and have it to the full! [John10:10]. Lord, help us to remember that we are nothing without You!

Andrea said...

Christy,
First, I want to thank you for your touching comments on both my blogs.
Second, I too feel as though time has escaped me and I have not always made the best of it. Somehow, GOD turns my messes into successes. It amazes me how HE brings beauty from ashes time and time again. GOD bless you for always sharing your heart....making us think about the state of our hearts...Bless you sweet one, andrea

E @ Scottsville said...

I'm trying to make the most of 'time' lately it seems... if only my house would clean itself and the yard would mow itself so I didn't have to worry about that. Life would be so good!

Anonymous said...

so, so true! I too am learning how to just enjoy every moment. To be thankful fo every blessing.

kids do indeed grow up, quicker than we would like them too. But God has been showing me lately that they are smaller than we think.

I was sifting through some old photos just the other day. I came across one of my favorites. Chase, perched very handsomely on and old fallen tree on a beach, by lake Erie. He was wearing a black shirt, with jeans rolled up and no socks. His eyes were bright with a smile. and he looked so little. "AWE" I thought "Look how little he was."

Hmmmm...In three years from now, I bet I will come across another photo, taken at a different place, taken at this time, and think "awe, look how little he was."

I am with you, learning to enjoy EVERY moment!

Jennifer W. said...

How poignant. And true! It's funny how we spend our youth rushing everything, wanting it all-now! Then when we are adults we beg for the moments to slow down! My youngest will be one in a matter of days, and I can barely remember where the last year has gone! I try to slow down and cherish the little moments as much as I can-and thank God for each one!
Jen

Unknown said...

Good post Christy...we were born to enjoy life to the fullest....in Christ is the only way that can be done!! Being thankful and grateful in our hearts for the little things...I think that is why I love my grandbabies, they bring happines and joy to me watching them learn and grow and experience their new adventures, learning and growing...how extravagant life is....love mom!!!!

~*Michelle*~ said...

One of my biggest struggles is just being still!

I love the message you are giving with this heartfelt post.....amazing. And just what I needed to hear.
thank you so much!

I am happy to have you as a new friend and sister in Christ!
xox

He & Me + 3 said...

So true. I want to live in Him daily. Life seems to go so much more smooth when I am in His will and not my own.
How does time get away so quickly yet days often seem so long...but i turn around and a year is gone?
Thanking God for every hour of everyday I am alive in Him.

Kelly L said...

Great Post... Live today!

Love,
kelly

momstheword said...

I think we all go through this, I know I do. I get caught up in being busy, busy, busy, and doing, and making sure it's all done right.....and get stressed and realize once again, I was going in my own strength and not the Lord's.

It's all about balance, and so often I think I know what the balance should be, when I really need to trust Him for it.

Beth E. said...

I know what you mean about time passing so quickly. Our "baby boy" is graduating from high school next week. It truly seems like yesterday he was in kindergarten!

I've told my hubby before that it feels like I go to be on Monday and wake up the next day and it's already Friday. Time is passing waaaaay too quickly.

Thank you for a great post. :-)

Blessings,
Beth

Technonana said...

Oh My Sweet Sister, I believe we can all say that we have been there, done that, and bought the T-Shirt!!
And, yes Sweetie, the time with our children passes very quickly... live in the moment with these precious loved ones!!
In Him,
Sharon

Julie said...

Oh, I so hear you on this one... The busy life of raising 5 children...has kept me pushing one foot in front of the other some days. But this past year I have been going through menopause. It's been one of those times where you know you gotta keep walking.... So, now, just barely on the other side of the year... I feel sorta numb... dazed.... lifeless in so many ways. I too am praying for the breath of life to breathe into me, that I might live, really live. He came that we might have life to the full...I want THAT!

Loved this post as I could SO relate.... I currently have 3 teenagers in the house, one soon to be married.

LisaShaw said...

Christy,

Thank you for this wonderful and precious sharing of truth!