My Family

COME ON IN, GRAB A CUP OF COFFEE & SHARE A RANDOM MOMENT WITH ME

Saturday, April 10, 2010

ice cream is good for the soul sometimes

Photobucket
i thought i would share a little story today. i found this on one of my blogging friend's post last week and thought it was really cute with an innocent childlike message.


last week, i took my children to a restaurant.
my six-year-old son asked if he could say grace.
as we bowed our heads he said, 'God is good, God is great. thank you for the food, and i would even thank you more if mom gets us ice cream for dessert. and liberty and justice for all! amen!'
along with the laughter from the other customers nearby, i heard a woman remark, 'that's what's wrong with this country. kids today don't even know how to pray. asking God for ice cream! why, i never!'
hearing this, my son burst into tears and asked me, 'did i do it wrong? is God mad at me?'
as i held him and assured him that he had done a terrific job, and God was certainly not mad at him, an elderly gentleman approached the table. he winked at my son and said, 'i happen to know that God thought that was a great prayer.'
really?' my son asked.
'cross my heart,' the man replied.
then, in a theatrical whisper, he added (indicating the woman whose remark had started this whole thing), 'too bad she never asks God for ice cream. a little ice cream is good for the soul sometimes.'
naturally, i bought my kids ice cream at the end of the meal. my son stared at his for a moment, and then did something i will remember the rest of my life.
he picked up his sundae and, without a word, walked over and placed it in front of the woman. with a big smile he told her, 'here, this is for you. ice cream is good for the soul sometimes; and my soul is good already.'


30 comments:

Mich said...

Oh how precious!

What an example you little one has left for all of us!

Happy weekend!

RaD said...

Awww... What a sweet story. Thanks for sharing that.

Heart2Heart said...

Christy,

What a great story and a shining example of the love of a child for someone unknown to him that apparently needed to feel the love of God. Praising God for this little angel who ministered to more than one soul that day!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

RCUBEs said...

Great story! I think he made God smile with that prayer! Have a great weekend sister! God bless.

Alleluiabelle said...

Oh my goodness that is the sweetest most adorable thing to do. What a precious son you have with a special loving heart for the Lord.

Thank you Lord for such sweet little ones...so pure...so innocent...so loving...so giving.

Thank you for filling my heart with this precious story about your son Christy. He is an absolute SWEETHEART!

Love you,
Alleluiabelle

He & Me + 3 said...

I read this too. It was perfect. Children can teach us so much.

Nel said...

Great story! What we could learn from children...
Thanks for sharing!

until next time... nel

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Oh, I LOVE that!!

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Loved it! Sweet story inside and out!
Have a great Sunday!.
Hugs
Kim

MTJ said...

Hi Christy Rose,

We live in a very judgemental society; even Christians can be ensnared in the web of cruel, harsh and insensitive judgement.

Although I don't eat ice cream, I can appreciate the honesty and generosity shown by the son. It would be good if we adults could be more like children; not just before God but towards one another as well.

My Thought-filled Journey

Cassie said...

Oh my goodness that is just the sweetest thing! Sounds like you are raising a very sweet and thoughtful little boy.

Angela said...

My goodness Christy, your son just melted my heart...and humbled me...to become like children...that is what Jesus desires. My flesh was a RANTING when I read what that woman said..I pictured myself throwing her nasty looks and probably saying something even nastier..blush blush...

What a sweet beautiful boy..and his prayer WAS beautiful...

Bridget said...

I have always loved that story! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Linda said...

Hi Christy Rose,
I have just found your blog and have so enjoyed your posts! So encouraging and full of inspiration! Thank you for sharing. I loved readng your first post.I am new to the blogging world and hoping to learn from others and to share what God has done for me! I am looking to make new friends who love God too!
Please drop by my blog sometime and I look forward to getting to know you.By the way the photos you have posted are lovely. Have a blessed day!

Liz Mays said...

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! That gave me the biggest chills! I just can't help but feel as if that ice cream really did touch that lady's soul that day!

Karen said...

The faith of a child...in action...would I have done the same?

Great message in this story....

Susan said...

Our prayer at school goes something like this...
God is great and God is good, and we thank him for our SNACK! The kids get a kick out of this.
I loved your story. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Susan

septembermom said...

That is very sweet! Thanks for sharing this story :) I'll share it with my kids today too.

MOMSWEB said...

They don't call ice cream comfort food for nothing! Glad I dropped by.

Libbie said...

That is a cute story! Made me smile!!! I think I need a little ice cream today too :)

Anonymous said...

This sounds like one of the short stories you might read in Reader’s Digest…very good. Thanks for sharing it.

♥Hope

Deborah Ann said...

WOW!!! I think God definitely DOES care about ice cream! LOVE this story, and love that little guy. Bless his heart!

Helene said...

That is the sweetest story EVER!!!!!!!!!

Lesli said...

oh my goodness Christy, that is so awesome. I love this story, what a sweet little boy you have! Thanks for sharing!

Warren Baldwin said...

This is a great story!

Kris said...

That is sweet. Childlike faith...I can't believe someone would have the nerve to say that.

Covnitkepr1 said...

Nice family...lots of love.

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

That's just beautiful!!

What a beautiful little boy.

I've been trying to remind myself lately that sometimes the people who need our love and kindness the most are the ones who deserve it the least....what a perfect example of that!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that had me all weepy! How wonderful to have people encourage nobleness and goodness like that gentleman did. And how wonderful, that by having those encouragers, he had the confidence to behave nobly:) I think this is a favorite post! Can I link to it on Sunday?

Debbie's L'Bri said...

This is so sweet. I am crying. It is nice to know that there are still good kids and parents out there. God bless the man too.

http://debbiellbriskincare.blogspot.com/
MBC